Sunday, January 01, 2012

Crafty Christmas

I'm behind on posting this but wanted to wait until all the gifts that I had made were in the hands of their recipients.

I didn't think I would have time to make much this year but then discovered that I actually got quite a bit of homemade gifts accomplished.

I made this adorable little snowman family diorama for my sister in law. Another pinterest find! (Check out the tutorial here if you are interested.) It was super easy and so cute! I'm going to make one for our family to display next Christmas.  I also got her one of these personalized necklaces with her 4 kids' names and birthstones from an Airdrie girl. When I picked hers up, I was so pleased with it, I made sure Chris knew I wanted one for myself under the tree! (It worked!)





I was part of a baking exchange with some local ladies and my contribution was peanut brittle. Here are the packages ready to be distributed and below is the peanut brittle cooling and hardening.




This wreath wasn't a gift for anyone. Well, for me, I guess. I had seen it online a few years ago and wanted to make one, and then when I came across the tutorial on pinterest (of course!) I had to to it. I got the Christmas balls at Superstore on Black Friday for 50% off so the project cost just $10!  It is made up of 100 mini balls (1") and 24 medium sized balls (2"). I could have used a few more actually. I ended up making the wreath a bit smaller than the clothes hanger because I ran out of ornaments.



This advent calendar was a MOPS project. Its a premade box with the smaller boxes. We added the scrapbook paper and embellishments. I filled the boxes with a Hershey's Kiss for each day.



I made 15 of these rice bags with aromatherapy scents (peppermint, cinnamon or citrus. And one disgusting lavender one for my sister's boyfriend. I hate lavender.) They were so easy! I use mine almost nightly. Heat it up, throw it down by my feet in bed.....ahhhhhh, bliss!
Super easy tutorial here if you are interested.



This denim quilt was my dad's gift. Their tv area is in the basement and a bit chilly. Plus, my dad always has a blanket when he watches tv. A friend gave me a bunch of pairs of old, used jeans and I gladly took them. This super sized twin quilt took about 6 pairs of adult jeans (and a few more for pockets). I did the reverse in a soft, cozt fleece with John Deere design. The blanket ended up being really heavy (all that denim!) but so cozy!  I filled each of the pockets with some of my dad's favorite treats, pictures of the boys, chap stick, etc.



These little tins were used to hold gift certificates, a necklace and magnets (see below). I took plain tins and decorated them wtih scrapbook paper and embellishments. I love wrapping things creatively!



These magnets were given to both sets of parents. Made from stones and photos printed on computer paper with a magnet attached. Tutorial here. Another pinterest find.


As I try to do every year, I made a calendar for my parents.

Luca also wrote and illustrated a story completely from his own imagination which we had made into a photo book. I also interviewed both kids with some fun questions and included their answers in the book as well. That was a gift to Chris' parents.

And here is a photo of my wonderful family on Christmas Eve after a fantastic day of family, fun and laughs. It was a really great Christmas.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Post a pic of Jacquie's necklace! An I agree Lavender is DISGUSTING!
I love my heat bag, I am getting a bit stuffy, I think I'll bring it to bed tonight :)

The Tompkins Family said...

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE all the projects you made!!! You seriously rocked the handmade gifts this Christmas! Remind me about all of these next Christmas, okay?!

Especially adore the magnets.

Jenn said...

Wow! I never realized you were so crafty! :) Love all the gifts! :)

Karyn said...

I find it amazing that you can work 2 part time jobs, take care of a big house, be a wonderful mother to 2 boys, a great wife, be involved in your community, AND make all those gifts! Do you start in January?

The gifts are all beautiful and creative, BTW.

Cortney said...

Beautiful work!

gallery of sketches said...

awesome work............very motivating...:)