Wednesday, February 25, 2009
I'm not sure how I would be able to cope if I were in her situation- the loss of an infant, then a husband shortly before the birth of another child. Wow. I can't even begin to imagine the grief.
I believe that some people (or some people's stories) are brought into our lives to teach us something. I don't know what that story was meant to show me, but I do know that it made me think about just how grateful I am to have 2 healthy boys and a healthy husband in a happy marriage.
Take a minute to read this woman's story. It is truly incredible.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
1. I love the color purple
2. I like to travel but am very afraid of flying. I am always certain that the plane will fall out of the sky. I just don't get how something so big can "float" up there. I try not to think about it.
3. The last flight I was on I threw up
4. I get motion sick easily. When I was a kid I always had my "puke bucket" whenever we went on trips. Even now if I sit in the backseat and can't see out the front window I get car sick.
5. I don't like boats
6. I want to get laser eye surgery but am afraid to
7. I have never broken a bone
8. I wish I had ridiculously long hair
9. I wish my hair was curly
10. When I am pregnant I get a large freckle on my right cheek that goes away a few weeks after the baby is born. Weird.
11. I love movie theatres but rarely get to go
12. I am a sucker for romantic comedies, even predictable ones
13. I love 5 cent type of candies
14. I don't love chocolate. I like it but I can do without
15. If we had a girl her name would have been Jenavieve Lynn. With a J, not a G because Chris didn't want her to be G.G. We would have called her Jenna for short
16. I hate, hate, hate any kind of amusement rides. See #4
17. I am ALWAYS cold. I plan my outfits based on layers. I can often be seen wearing long sleeves in the summer.
18. I like to sleep with socks on. See #17
19. I can not sleep with pj pants on. Too uncomfortable
20. I am very close with my Daddy
21. I like the smell of paint and gasoline. And dirt.
22. Saskatoons are my favorite fruit
23. I wish I was more artistic
24. I am a worrier
25. My biggest fear is tornadoes. I actually have anxiety attacks during the stormy season and it is worse now that we have moved to Crossfield. The storms come off the mountains fast and vicious.
Friday, February 20, 2009
I randomly opened a file and chose a picture from our many, many photos. So here it is and the memories that go with it:
This photo of Luca and Hope was taken on December 26, 2006 at our house in Ponoka. Luca was only a few days away from his 6 month birthday, and obviously, it had just been Christmas the day before. Luca's first Christmas!
Luca wouldn't be crawling for another month yet, but was finding ways to get around on his tummy and by rolling. Here he is laying on the new toy from Auntie Jessica and Donny- a very noisy, but well loved toy! And you can see a talking Mater (from Cars) under his arm. Little did we know that 2 years later "Cars" would be such a hit for him!
Luca didn't yet have any teeth, his first would sprout a few days later.
And our faithful friend, wonderful protector Hope nearby, as she always was. By this point she had gotten used to Luca being around and was really quite fond of him. She was such a good dog and she is very missed. I'm glad I got so many pictures of her and Luca.
So, that's my random photo post. It's fun to relive some past photos!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Chris left after the boys were in bed on Monday night to head to Fort Nelson. He made it to Stoney Plain, slept and then headed out for the day long drive. He hasn't had much cell reception so I haven't been able to chat with him much this week. :( Luca loves to talk on the phone and also likes to leave messages so he has been leaving Daddy some messages.
It is getting increasingly hard for Chris to be away. Luca is old enough that he really notices now, especially in the evenings. This morning at breakfast he was pretty quiet, then he looked up at me and said "Mommy, I want Daddy to come home for supper." It was so sweet and sad all at the same time.
Then this evening we went to Dee and Layne' s for supper. Being that Layne and Chris work together, when we have meals together the men usually arrive at the same time. Luca was a bit disappointed when his Daddy didn't come in the door after Adelynn's Daddy did.
Jessica got her driver's license last week (she's only 23, her learners was about to expire...no big deal! haha) and her and Donny came here this week. They arrived on Tuesday morning and stayed til this morning, Thursday. It was nice to have some company while Chris was gone.
The boys had fun together and Luca had his first real sleepover, with Donny sleeping in his room. I wasn't sure how it would go, I thought that they would be up late fooling around, but they were both tired enough that they fell right asleep both nights. Luca was so excited, he told me that "him and Donny had a sleepover"! I had hoped to get a picture of the boys in their beds in Luca's room, but no luck.
The 5 of us went to the zoo on Wednesday to see the animals and of course, the new Koala exhibit (til September, I think). We had great weather the the boys had lots of fun. Of course, we always enjoy the zoo, as you know.
Last night Levi had his first major injury. Or, actually, what could have been a major injury, but thnkfully wasn't. Luca has now mastered opening doors of all sorts. After supper, in the chaos of cleaning up, I didn't realize that Luca decided to go downstairs to the basement to play. (He was supposed to be heading upstairs for a bath). Well, as I have mentioned in previous posts, Levi loves to follow his big brother around. And he did. Right down the stairs. All the way to the bottom. Around the curve and everything (we have a curved staircase). The poor guy was sitting at the bottom, crying, looking up the stairs like he couldn't figure out what happened. He was ok, apart from a bit of rug burn on his forehead and nose. I was most definitely in worse shape. It's hard on a Mommy to see their little ones hurt. I asked Luca if he saw Levi fall down the stairs, and he replied with a very enthusiastic "Yup!". Guess he didn't really get the meaning of my questioning....
I guess we can be thankful that it was the basement stairs, which have been newly carpeted and are quite cushy and not the stairs from the second story to the main floor as ceramic tile greets you at the bottom of those ones.
Luca also decided this week that he was ready to wear his big boy underwear. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, being that Chris was away and I knew that we had a busy week ahead of us. But, I wasn't going to say no when he was asking. So, into underwear he went. He has done really well so far, with only 2 accidents the first day and none today! Of course, "George" has to go pee, too, when he does. In case you don't know, Luca has a Curious George stuffy that he loves to bits. They are best buds. So, of course, George needs to do what Luca does too. It is so funny to listen to Luca reminding George to tuck his penis in.....LOL
Luca saw Donny standing up to pee this week and thought that was pretty neat, but he told me he wasn't a big boy like Donny yet. Thank goodness, cuz that just seems like a lot more clean up to me!!! And a question for you experienced mothers.....what to do when a little boy is terrified to poop on the potty??? He has a few times and it is quite traumatic for him, he cries and is afraid to go again. Advice???
So, we have had a pretty adventure- filled week. And still 2 more days to go before Chris comes home.... :(
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Saturday, February 14, 2009
So, here it is. My blessings for the past week:
1. My mom came to babysit so that Chris and I could have an evening out for Valentine's. It was nice to have the date night, but also very nice for my mom and the boys to spend time together. Unfortunately, her work schedule doesn't allow for many visits, especially for her to come here. So, not only were Chris and I blessed with time together without kids, I know that Luca and Levi enjoyed having their grandma come and spend the night.
2. I have the world's greatest husband. I don't really need to elaborate beacause he is always wonderful, but I will. For Valentine's Day, he decided that I needed a new diamond necklace! And yes, new, meaning that I already have a diamond necklace from him. What a sweetie. So thoughtful.
3. Another reason that I have a fantastic husband: we woke up this morning to 11 degrees in our house. Overnight our furnace had stopped working. Brrrrrrr! I am so thankful that I have a competent husband that was able to get it fixed!
4. I am so blessed to have a best girlfriend like Dee. Today we were able to go for pedicures (my birthday present to her), lunch and some shopping. Without children. It was lovely. No day is wasted when it is shared with Dee. I love her to bits and couldn't ask for a better friend.
5. Not only do I have a wonderful friend in Dee and Chris has one in Layne, but our children really and truly love eachother. Adelynn had been away all week with her grandparents but we babysat her and Jack this evening while their parents celebrated Valentine's Day. Luca and Adelynn were playing potato heads when I heard Adelynn say to Luca: "Luca, I missed you". Then at bedtime, after sharing a hug and a kiss, they told eachother that they loved the other. It was just so sweet. They really do ask about the other when they haven't seen eachother for a few days and little moments like that make me realize just how lucky we are to have a family that we are all close to. They are not only our friends, but our family as well.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
1. Not so surprising, but I know without a doubt that I would do anything for my children.
2. I don't always feed my kids nutritious meals. Sometimes I let Luca pick his lunch which isn't usually a very good choice....cookies and dry cereal anyone?
3. I love nap time. I need some quiet time to myself.
4. Even though my pregnancies weren't great, I loved knowing that there was a person growing inside me and loved feeling the movement. I missed my big belly.
5. I actually think that labour wasn't that bad. (Don't hate me- I had short, uncomplicated labours. They were pretty good relative to the months of sickness I endured)
6. I was afraid when I was pregnant with Levi that I wouldn't love him as much as I love Luca. Don't worry- I do love him just as much!
7. I check on my boys at least once per night to make sure that they are breathing. I actually need to feel their breath or see them move or else I can't sleep.
8. I am terrified of my boys becoming teenagers. I worry about them and the things that they will inevitably try with their friends and the trouble that they will undoubtedly get into.
9. I don't want my boys to ever get their driver's licences.
10. Ok, can you tell that I don't want my children to grow up!?!?!?!
11. I get teary thinking that Luca is only a few years away from going to school. Technically, he could go next fall to preschool, but I think I may wait til he's 4.
12. I can't remember what it was like to have only 1 child.
13. I would choose to be the one sick if it would spare my kids. Puking and coughing kids make my heart hurt. I'd rather be the one to be miserable.
14. I wish I could save every piece of artwork that Luca makes, but its just not feasable. I get sad everytime I have to throw away a scribbled on piece of paper. He is so proud of his crafts, and I never let him see them in the garbage because I worry that it will make him as sad as it makes me.
15. There are days that I wish I could hide from my kids just to get a few minutes to myself.
16. If anyone told me that when I had kids I wouldn't even be able to go to the bathroom alone, I wouldn't have believed it. How hard is it to close a door, right? HA! Its easier to have a party in the bathroom than to listen to the crying on the other side of the door.
17. I had no idea I would be so excited for someone to pee and poop on a potty!
18. I wish stretch marks went away when the baby came out....
19. I had no idea I would miss sleeping in so much! Now 8:00 am is sleeping in on a good day.
20. Being a mom has made me a baker. One of my favorite things to do now is to bake cookies or muffins.
21. Somedays I want to just stay in bed and read all day like I used to.
22. I enjoy shopping for my boys more than I like to shop for myself...quite a change from a few years ago. Haha
23. Having kids lets me do things that I secretly enjoy doing, but that adults just don't do...like playing playdough!
24. My kids are my source of a social network now....without them I couldn't go to playgroup or storytime or MOPS, and that is where I get to chat with other moms.
25. As much as I miss some things from my pre-baby days, I wouldn't trade all the ups and downs of motherhood for ANYTHING.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
It is much to Luca's dismay that Levi is so mobile. Levi loves his big brother so much and wants to follow him everywhere and do what he does. This includes playing with the toy(s) that Luca is playing with. Often throughout the day I hear "Levi! Don't!" or "Levi, that's mine! LEAVE ME ALONE!". It's actually pretty funny, but so frustrating for Luca. Gone are the days that he could just move to another spot. Now he moves and Levi thinks it is a game to chase him!
We have had some fantastic weather, which has meant walks and even a trip to the zoo. The day that we went to the zoo it was 14 degrees in Calgary- fabulous! And there was hardly anyone there, except for a school group. We love to go on a weekday morning, when the animals are active, having just been fed and when there are significantly fewer visitors to the zoo, giving us a better and longer look at the animals. As always, the hippos are the biggest (no pun intended!) attraction for Luca. I don't know what it is about them, but Luca looks forward to seeing the hippos every time.
We ventured into the Canadian Wilds section this time, which we normally run out of time for and Luca was thrilled to be able to feed the ducks. He thought it was so funny that they were slipping and sliding on the ice! We're looking forward to Spring so that we can spend probably a morning a week at the zoo. A zoo pass has most definitely been the best entertainment money that we have spent this year!
I am making an effort to eat better and to be more active in hopes that I can shed these last few pounds that have been clinging to my body since I was pregnant with Luca. And if you know me, you know that I LOVE sweets, especially candy. So, this is a challenge for me, but I am really making an effort. Dee and I have been walking our dogs at least once a week for a nice evening walk after our kids are in bed. We seem to be able to make it out for about an hour. The weather has been crisp but nice. I am also trying to be more motivated to excercise at home, either with my elliptical trainer or the Wii fit or my dancing videos. (Don't laugh- I love them! Its the only time I can dance and not care that I look like a fool!)
There. Now I've said it publicly. Now I really do have to stick to this goal now that everyone knows about it. Hopefully before Jessica and Brock's wedding this fall I can feel truly comfortable in my bridesmaid dress!
Chris has been busy at work, with 2 trips to Houston in less than 2 months. He is also beginning to really need to take his week per month and head out to rigs to do his Quality control job. So, he will be gone next week. :(
I have been keeping busy with playgroup on Monday mornings, Storytime on Wednesday mornings, playdates and MOPS every second Thursday. Our mornings are ususally quite busy, but then it also usually makes for a nice, quiet afternoon while the boys get a good nap in. In the afternoons I try to take some time to myself to sew, make cards, or just watch tv. I also use that time to tidy up, vacuum and get some laundry in as well. Then before I know it the boys are up and it is time to get supper on the go. Chris usually makes it home by 6 and we have supper, a bit of playtime then the boys are getting ready for bed. Usually by 8pm our house is quiet and Chris and I can spend some time together.
Oh yes, I almost forgot Loki.....she is becoming such a good dog. Really obedient and so very gentle with the boys. Levi is fascinated with her, especially her mouth and face. But, Loki just takes him poking and pulling at her. I think she actually likes the attention! She is also a good excuse for me to get out and walk. She is a big girl and still growing and I feel bad if she doesn't get some exercise, and she really likes to get out.
Well, that's about it. We are just keeping busy, waiting for Spring to arrive so we can be out doing different things like playing at the park and splashing in puddles! :)