Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some Randomness

1. What was I doing 10 years ago?10 years ago I would've been 17...just starting University at Augustana in Camrose. I was taking my bachelor of arts with a concentration in psychology and a minor in Scandinavian Studies (don't ask!). I had intended to go and take a concentration in drama and a minor in sociology- it turned out I wasn't as good an actress as my high school performances had me believing and I discovered that sociology was kinda boring. So, I switched. Pysch was interesting and I can (sorta) speak Norwegian and have read many pieces of literature important to Scandinavian history. At one point I could tell you the deeper meanings of what those writers were writing. Not so today. But, ask me about current celebrity gossip and I can fill you in! LOL

Sidenote: I always wondered this and writing about Norwegian literature reminded me again about this wonder I have. Lisa, since you are the literature guru, maybe you have some insight.
In school we study all these pieces of literature and are taught that there is almost always another, deeper meaning to what was written. For example, in Ibsen's Peer Gynt, Peer peels away an onion to find a non-existent core and realizes that he himself is made up of layers like an onion (a thought that Shrek stole, by the way!). And that the trolls that Peer encounters signify the the self-indulgences that deflect man from a truer purpose. My question is this: How do we know that hundreds of years ago, Henrik Ibsen wasn't just sitting down and writing a fictional story about a little man who encounters trolls on his journey and on the way peels an onion looking for something inside? How do we know that he was purposefully putting this imagery into his work in the hopes that his works would be studied and dissected for many years to come? Perhaps it is just that over the years people have chosen to believe that certain figures and images convey greater meaning and these thoughts are continually passed on and changed with the passage of time??
Do authors actually sit down and think "ok, I am going to write this and it will actually mean this. Let's see who is smart enough to figure this out." Like a puzzle. I just think that people look too hard for hidden meaning into things and maybe they should just be taken at face value sometimes. But, then again, that wouldn't make for a very good literature class, now, would it?


Anyhoo....on to my randomness...

2. What are 5 things on my to-do list today? Well, since it is 9:30pm, I think I will be planning to go to bed shortly. But 5 things I will do before I make it to bed are: get undressed and into pjs, get a snack, do my bedtime routine (teeth, hair, face, etc), go pee and read a bit.

3. What are 5 snacks you enjoy?I always enjoy snacks! I LOVE 5cent candies and slurpees, am quite fond of chips and salsa, peanut butter and jam sandwiches with a glass of milk, oreo cookies.

4. Things I would do if I was a billionaire:Pay off student loans, go to Disneyland (with my kids of course and I'd love to take my whole family), vacation, invest to ensure that my kids were set for life.

5. 2 of my bad habits: Eating sugary snacks, not drinking enough water every day

6. 5 places I've lived: Blackfalds, Ponoka, Camrose, Edmonton, Crossfield

7. 5 jobs I've had: Cashier at Extra Foods, Group home staff, Psych Aide, Group home coordinator, teacher

My friend Tasha tagged me in this and I don't feel like actually tagging people so, If you're reading this and have a blog, consider yourself tagged!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I'll play....just give me a few days to get a round toit. :)

Hey! Good question about the literature thing. Just because something was written a hundred years ago shouldn't automatically mean that the author had anything beyond entertainment in mind.

Think of your favorite current author....are those books full of hidden meaning? What kind of hidden meaning will students in 2109 find in them? LOL I think your question is hilarious and just MIGHT be on track.

On the other hand, maybe people were more 'moralistic' a few generations ago...maybe no one could tell a story without having a 'moral' to go with it. Maybe people were so accustomed to being 'preached at' that it was easy to include hidden meanings. The folks then weren't as entertainment minded as we are, that's for sure.

Anyway, it is a fun train of thought to follow.