Friday, September 07, 2012

The First Decade




Today is our 10th wedding anniversary. Wow. Where does the time go? I can remember our wedding day like it was yesterday but then I think of all that has happened since we've been married and it seems like a lifetime ago.

On this day, 10 years ago, I was anxiously waiting to walk down the isle to meet my groom at the altar. I wasn't nervous, just excited. I knew that getting married was the best decision of my life.  At the top of the stairs of the church, after my 5 beautiful bridesmaids walked down the isle and my 2 adorable flower girls rang crystal bells to announce my entrance, I waited with my arm linked in my Daddy's. I think he was more emotional than I was.

Finally, I heard the Bridal March begin to play and we rounded the corner into the sanctuary. The pews were filled with our loved ones. Everyone stood and turned to watch me, but my eyes only sought out one other pair- Chris'. We locked eyes and I was so calm as my Dad and I came to the front pews and my Mom joined us. We walked the few feet that seperated us from Chris and my parents hugged both Chris and I and my dad put my hand in my groom's.

I remember standing on the steps, only half listening to what my cousin, Wayne, was saying as he welcomed the congregation to the day of our union. I was just so happy to be there, my hands in Chris's, looking into his eyes. The ceremony was great, and it was so special to us to have so many loved ones there to witness us joining our lives. We could hardly wait for that first kiss as husband and wife and jumped the gun a bit so we got to do it twice!

Finally, we were Mr. and Mrs. Graham! After exiting the church and hugging and shaking hands with those that came to bless us with their presence, we went outside to where my family and I had arranged to have a Corvette waiting as our "get away" car. Chris loves Corvettes and it was so fun to be able to surprise him with that as our ride for the day.

As our wonderful day came to a close and we headed to Edmonton to spend our wedding night at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, we began our lives together, full of joy, optimism and most importantly, love.

Over the last 10 years, we have walked through heartache, loss of loved ones, loss of pregnancies, health scares, moves, job changes, financial worries and the stress of post secondary school. But through it all, we have done it hand in hand, side by side- together.

We have also had so very many moments of pure happiness, and it has been those great moments that have allowed us to get through the darker moments together.  We have travelled together, had 2 wonderful, adorable boys together, have bought 2 homes, have supported each other in our ventures- whatever they may be.


 
Us at a University function, Spring 2000
 

 19 days before Luca was born, June 2006
 
 Us, 5 days after becoming parents
 
2 weeks before we would become a family of 4
 
And new baby Levi makes 4!
 
 
There is no one in the world that I could imagine spending my life with. We've seen each other at our worst and have celebrated together at our best. We're comfortable to sit in silence together or to stay up late, laying in bed talking, long after we should have been asleep.  We love to travel together and also love to stay home and just hang out.

Chris is my rock, my best friend, the one I want to tell things to first and the one I need a hug from when I'm having a bad day. He's the one I miss when I'm away for a weekend without him. He's my other half, he completes me.

I'm so proud of the marriage that we have. Its by no means "perfect" but its perfect for us. We love fully, we are comfortable to disagree with each other but we talk things through respectfully. We hug and kiss in front of our kids. We hold hands.  We are happy to show the world that we belong to each other and that we are proud of that.

I am so proud of the father that Chris is and the amazing provider and husband he is to me.  He always puts his family first and makes decisions in the best interests of all of us. He makes me feel special and beautiful.

He's respected at work and works hard to be professional and knowledgeable. He doesn't take his job lightly, even when it frustrates him to no end. He displays integrity, no matter what the situation.

I'm looking forward to everything that our future holds- the good and the bad because I know that together, we will get through anything. We are far better together than we are as seperate units.

Happy Anniversary to the man that has known me for half of my life. The one that has seen me at my worst and still chooses to be with me. The one that makes me feel cherished, even after 10 years of marriage and 13 years together. I love you more than anything. Ten years down, many, many more to come.

 

3 comments:

Jay said...

That's nice :) happy anniversary guys!

The Tompkins Family said...

Lovely. Congrats you guys! Xo

Karyn said...

Great post!

Love you both. Happy Anniversary a day late.