Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Some NASA pictures

Chris got home on Friday night from Houston. I was soooo happy to see him! It had been such a long 10 days with Luca sick and everything, it felt like he had been gone for a lot longer.

Unfortunately, Chris got sick on Saturday morning with whatever Luca had- Norwalk virus is suspected as they had an outbreak at the nursing home and at the General hospital.

Here are a few pictures of Chris' trip to NASA while he was in Houston. I don't have all of them on this computer. These are just a few that he emailed me while he was away. Maybe I will put some more from his laptop later.
A picture of the cockpit of the shuttle. The astronauts have to memorize where each switch and button are so they can operate everything in the dark. There are also many switches on the roof as well.









A rocket that was built in the 60's, and then funding was cut, so it never went up. They built the building around the rocket a few years ago. Before that, it was just sitting outside deteriorating. You can see just how huge the rocket engines are (about 10ft around each).








Another view of the rocket. You can see how long it is- the building houses just the rocket. (363 feet long)












Chris beside the rocket. The rusty looking part is where the astronauts would sit, all the other parts fall off/ burn up when they have been used. The only part that returns to Earth is the pod for the astronauts.








There are so many other cool pictures that I don't have, so when Chris comes back from work, I will add a few more.

Also, I have pictures from my new camera to post, but I am a bit tired tonight. (Luca isn't sleeping well at night, so I am off to bed to try to get some sleep before he wakes up again).

Watch for another new post in the next few days!

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Glad it wasn't all work and no play for you, Chris! Those are awesome pictures. Imagine it being easier to build a structure around an object than to move the object!

Jan! you got a new camera?! Tell all.

Rob... said...

That is so cool! I bet it wa alot of fun to see all that!

Rob