Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My 31st Birthday

The weekend before my actual birthday, Dee and Layne offered to take the boys overnight so Chris and I could go out on a date to celebrate my birthday. It was fabulous.

We decided to try a new restaurant in calgary, Tango Bistro . Its a "small plate" restaurant meaning that everything is more like appetizer size and you order a handful of different things to try. Everything comes out at different times- when it is ready rather than all at once. We enjoyed a fabulous meal and dessert and I also found a new favourite wine!

 
We had smoked duck faltbread with onion marmalade (amazing!), cheesesteak poutine (so delicious!), Lobster roll (not my favourite), Yam wedges (not pictured) and some incredible shot glass desserts- caramel apple pie cheese cake, Rocky Road Mousse and Chocolate mousse with Raspberry truffles. I absolutely loved the apple cheesecake and tried a bite of the other desserts. The truffles were far too rich for my taste. The presentation was beautiful, though!

After enjoying our leisurely and delicious meal, we went to see Argo. I thought it was a fabulous movie and I was on the edge of my seat and tense right from the opening credits til the end. It was suspenceful and interesting while still being historical. I thought it was great.

Then we came home and enjoyed sleeping in without kids giving us the 6 am wakeup call!


My day of my actual 31st birthday was spent with my 3 favorite people. We had a great day and it was the perfect way to celebrate.

It started with me sleeping in, then coming downstairs to see the birthday banner that Chris and the boys made. It was a tradition when Chris was growing up for everyone to sign the banner for the birthday person, and we've tried to carry on the tradition.


My favorite part was the family in the word "happy" and the wine glass at the end.

After breakfast, we took the boys to see Home Alone at the theatre. Every Saturday, Cineplex has a "family favourites" feature for $2.50 admission. We all love going to the theatre and the boys hadn't seen Home Alone. Watching them laugh at the physical humour in the movie was the best part! Luca especially really "got" the jokes and humour and we all had a great time. I recently found the movie at WalMart for $5 so we'll be watching it again for sure!

Then we went to Montana's and enjoyed a night out. It was really nice and we all had fun playing "I Spy" while we waited for our food. Its so fun that the boys are at an age where they get the games and can fully participate.

After lunch we went to Ikea for our Christmas tree. The past few years we have bought our trees there and have always come home with a full and beautiful tree- and only $20 and you get a $20 off your next purchase coupon to use in the new year.  We also enjoyed browsing the store as well. Its on teh other side of Calgary so we don't get there very often.


 
Here is Levi pretending to be a tree. :)
 
 
After dinner, rather than getting the traditional (for my birthday) DQ Ice Cream cake, (due to our "diet"), we opted to go to Menchies for frozen yogurt instead. The boys love to choose their own flavours and toppings and there is always something that each of us like. It was a tasty end to a wonderful day.
 

And now I'm 31.....

No comments: