Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Night Leftovers

  • Last weekend Dee and I went to Camrose for a Stella and Dot party that Dee was doing (she's a S&D stylist) for her old roommate. We decided a while ago that it would be fun to have a "roomie reunion"- her and her roomie and me and mine. Both of our roommates still live in Camrose, so it was easy to arrange. Dee and Trina lived directly across the hall from Laura and I in our first year at Augustana 12 years ago!! The four of us had some good times that first year. While I have kept in regular contact with Laura, I hadn't seen Trina in years so it was a ton of fun to reminice and get caught up on our lives now. Dee and I also went with Laura to tour the new library and "central" building that was recently built on campus. So many changes but there were still so many memories tucked into every corner of that campus.

  • I've been subbing a lot this month. I've been ignoring my twice a week "rule" and have taken some stretches in the same classroom for 3 or more days. Its easy to do when those stretches of days are in my favorite places- a stretch of 3 days in kindergarten and another stretch of 5 days at the Virtual School. I'm looking forward to a nice paycheque after this month!

  • The sun has been shining the past few days and we are all getting Spring Fever! The boys are still loving to go out and spray the snow, and with the warmer weather they are staying out even longer, just coming into the house for refills on their colored water. I even had the windows open the other day and the cool but fresh breeze was so welcome and refreshing!

  • I've got some events coming up that I am hoping will help to promote my doula business. A few "trade shows" of sorts and a speaking opportunity at a prenatal class. I'm really hoping that I will get some clients and contacts out of these events and that I can get my business growing. I absolutely love being a doula and its hard to not get frustrated when I haven't got clients lined up, but I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that building a business and client base take time and I need to be patient.

  • I'm working on a new project for our library board and I am so excited about it. I got the idea when we were visiting the Augustana library last weekend and decided then and there to get to work implementing it in Crossfield. This fall I am planning to have the first of many (hopefully) sessions of a Living Library. The concept is that rather than reading a memoir, someone (the "author") comes and tells their story. The audience (or "reader") then has the opportunity to ask questions and direct a discussion. Its an intimate and interactive way of hearing someone's unique story. I think that this will provide some more opportunities for people in our community to get out and participate in free events, as well as to connect people on a personal level when they share or hear their stories. If you have or know of someone who has an interesting and unique story to tell, please contact me! I'd love to hear from you! The Living Library concept is actually an international program that you can read about here.

  • Happy Friday, everyone! The visit the host of this weekly blog event, go here!

2 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Dee said you two had a ton of fun driving up to the party together - what a great time with no kids. Imagine all the talking you got to do!

The library thing sounds super neat!

I'm going to the Welcome Wagon thing (sounds like tons of fun for the kids so I registered) so I'll be sure to talk you up while I'm there!!

The Tompkins Family said...

Did we really start University 12 years ago?? That's sick!!