I was tagged in this award/ meme by Raelene and my friend over at Just Another Mom Blog. Here's what you're supposed to do:
1) Say 10 random things about yourself
2) Tag 10 random bloggy friends for this award
Here are 10 random things about me:
1) I always wished I had lived in the "pioneer days". Think long prairie dresses and horse drawn carriages. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman style. I have no idea why I am so drawn to this time period, especially since even when camping I like elecricity and running water in the trailer. Life just seemed so much simpler then and families actually had relationships. Also, growing up, I loved watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman!
2) I am really comfortable with who I am. As a teenager, I just didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and then once I moved away to college, I began to slowly find my way in the world and find where I belonged. I've been questioned recently about my personality- why I'm so straightforward and honest, why I do what I do and how I do it. All I can say to those people is that I have found myself. I am blunt at times, I often say what's on my mind and I am an individual. I'm independent, I do things the way that work best for me. I'm neurotic and obsessive about some things and completely passe about others. I know the type of people I want to have in my life and the kind of friends I need. I'm not too bothered when people don't like me for who I am. This is me and if we don't "mesh well", then ok. That's life.
3) I'm looking into taking a Childbirth Educator course. This would enable me to teach prenatal classes as well as be a doula. Until I really got into the "birthing community", I didn't realize just how much I would love being involved in this aspect of people's lives. I think that just maybe I have found my calling.
4) I would love to be a great gardener but I'm not. I'm mediocre at best. And that's on a really good day.
5) I love, love, love to read. (ok, sidenote- I was just typing along, intending to write that I love, love, love to read and typed that I love, love, love to eat. HA! I guess my fingers know me best! LOL) Anyway, I do love to read. I have an entire bookcase overflowing with books in my bedroom to be read and I still regularly take out 2-3 books from the library every few weeks. Books are my addiction. I have to have them. I love to hold a book and smell it. It smells like paper and imagination. I love it. That being said, I am seriously thinking about getting a Kindle or a Kobo after seeing a friend's a few weeks ago. Originally I thought that it was stupid, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Would I be cheating on my books if I went to an electronic version? Would it be conflicting since I am on the library board in town and would then no longer need to sign out books from the library? I'm so torn.... If you have any opinions regarding the Kindle or Kobo, I'd love to hear them!
6) When I was a kid, I had these awesome, thick framed, big, baby pink glasses. I picked them out myself. Why my parents let me do that, I don't know. Perhaps I was being punished for something.
7) I used to hate exercise and now I am addicted to the endorphin rush I get when I work out and get sweaty and out of breath. Weird. I never thought I'd say that. I'm actually planning to sign up for a 5K run that is being held in town here in October.
8) I am absolutely, utterly petrified of tornadoes. Because of this fear, I am also terrified of summer storms. I can almost always convince myself that any cloud is the beginnings of a funnel cloud. I will literally make myself sick to my stomach with worry and will constantly look out the windows and check Environment Canada's weather radar. (I was taught how to read radar in a climatology class that I took in university. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous!) I love summer but I'm also often anxious come late afternoon/ early evening rain storms.
9) When I was in high school, I knew that I was going to marry my husband. Call me crazy but I just knew. I told him that, too when he broke up with me in 11th grade. He thought I was a lunatic. Who's laughing now??
10) I am fascinated with learning about and reading true life accounts of the lives of Hutterites, Polygamists and the Amish. Maybe because their worlds are just so different from mine. It reminds me that there are so many different types of people in this world. In a way, I think I respect their lifestyle choices more when I learn about the basis for their decisions. Not to say that I would agree with some of their choices (sister wives? Not a chance!) but it reminds me that there are others in this world with different opinions and beliefs than mine and I can respect that.
So, that's it. Those are my 10 random things. If I don't tag you and you want to share your random things with me, please do so in a comment! I'd love to get to know you more!
Consider yourself tagged:
Julianne at The Dream to Write
Jay at Ramblings of an Eccentric Mommy
Carri at One Day at a Time
Karyn at Musings From Me
Rimini at Our New Arrival
Jenn at My Crazy Life!
Amy at McGiven Family Chaos
Tasha at The Tompkins Family
Ok, I know I only tagged 8 but that's all I've got right now! :)