Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Sugar Doll

I was tagged in this award/ meme by Raelene and my friend over at Just Another Mom Blog. Here's what you're supposed to do:
1) Say 10 random things about yourself
2) Tag 10 random bloggy friends for this award

Here are 10 random things about me:

1) I always wished I had lived in the "pioneer days". Think long prairie dresses and horse drawn carriages. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman style. I have no idea why I am so drawn to this time period, especially since even when camping I like elecricity and running water in the trailer. Life just seemed so much simpler then and families actually had relationships. Also, growing up, I loved watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman!

2) I am really comfortable with who I am. As a teenager, I just didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and then once I moved away to college, I began to slowly find my way in the world and find where I belonged. I've been questioned recently about my personality- why I'm so straightforward and honest, why I do what I do and how I do it. All I can say to those people is that I have found myself. I am blunt at times, I often say what's on my mind and I am an individual. I'm independent, I do things the way that work best for me. I'm neurotic and obsessive about some things and completely passe about others. I know the type of people I want to have in my life and the kind of friends I need. I'm not too bothered when people don't like me for who I am. This is me and if we don't "mesh well", then ok. That's life.

3) I'm looking into taking a Childbirth Educator course. This would enable me to teach prenatal classes as well as be a doula. Until I really got into the "birthing community", I didn't realize just how much I would love being involved in this aspect of people's lives. I think that just maybe I have found my calling.

4) I would love to be a great gardener but I'm not. I'm mediocre at best. And that's on a really good day.

5) I love, love, love to read. (ok, sidenote- I was just typing along, intending to write that I love, love, love to read and typed that I love, love, love to eat. HA! I guess my fingers know me best! LOL) Anyway, I do love to read. I have an entire bookcase overflowing with books in my bedroom to be read and I still regularly take out 2-3 books from the library every few weeks. Books are my addiction. I have to have them. I love to hold a book and smell it. It smells like paper and imagination. I love it. That being said, I am seriously thinking about getting a Kindle or a Kobo after seeing a friend's a few weeks ago. Originally I thought that it was stupid, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Would I be cheating on my books if I went to an electronic version? Would it be conflicting since I am on the library board in town and would then no longer need to sign out books from the library? I'm so torn.... If you have any opinions regarding the Kindle or Kobo, I'd love to hear them!

6) When I was a kid, I had these awesome, thick framed, big, baby pink glasses. I picked them out myself. Why my parents let me do that, I don't know. Perhaps I was being punished for something.

7) I used to hate exercise and now I am addicted to the endorphin rush I get when I work out and get sweaty and out of breath. Weird. I never thought I'd say that. I'm actually planning to sign up for a 5K run that is being held in town here in October.

8) I am absolutely, utterly petrified of tornadoes. Because of this fear, I am also terrified of summer storms. I can almost always convince myself that any cloud is the beginnings of a funnel cloud. I will literally make myself sick to my stomach with worry and will constantly look out the windows and check Environment Canada's weather radar. (I was taught how to read radar in a climatology class that I took in university. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous!) I love summer but I'm also often anxious come late afternoon/ early evening rain storms.

9) When I was in high school, I knew that I was going to marry my husband. Call me crazy but I just knew. I told him that, too when he broke up with me in 11th grade. He thought I was a lunatic. Who's laughing now??

10) I am fascinated with learning about and reading true life accounts of the lives of Hutterites, Polygamists and the Amish. Maybe because their worlds are just so different from mine. It reminds me that there are so many different types of people in this world. In a way, I think I respect their lifestyle choices more when I learn about the basis for their decisions. Not to say that I would agree with some of their choices (sister wives? Not a chance!) but it reminds me that there are others in this world with different opinions and beliefs than mine and I can respect that.


So, that's it. Those are my 10 random things. If I don't tag you and you want to share your random things with me, please do so in a comment! I'd love to get to know you more!

Consider yourself tagged:
Julianne at The Dream to Write
Jay at Ramblings of an Eccentric Mommy
Carri at One Day at a Time
Karyn at Musings From Me
Rimini at Our New Arrival
Jenn at My Crazy Life!
Amy at McGiven Family Chaos
Tasha at The Tompkins Family

Ok, I know I only tagged 8 but that's all I've got right now! :)

9 comments:

Raelene said...

Sweet....I never missed an episode of Dr.Quinn when I was younger either!!! That's really neat that you knew you'd marry your husband even when you were so young. Good for you!!
Thanks for participating!! :D

Momof4 said...

Thanks for sharing Janice!!! So, I am with you on the Love to Read!!! I actually can't take books out of the library if I have things that need to be accomplished around the house---or it doesn't get done!!! I was also thinking of getting a kindle, but then found out I can get "Kindle", as an App for the iPad. I bought an iPad down in Vegas, and installed the "Kindle" app. It works great! I love it. I like not having the books lying around the house, but the only downside is, rather than borrowing from the library, you now have to buy each book. They are less, since they are just a download, but still, I can go to the library for free.....I think the portability and instant access still wins out for me though!!! I should mention I was also thinking of getting a laptop, so the iPad seemed like the best of both worlds for me!

Jay said...

I couldn't get a Kindle. I would feel like a cheater. I like holding books too, but I don't go all freak crazy and smell them!

I was always jealous of you as a kid, you were always so popular and stylish and pretty.

Your pink glasses were BOSS.

I am going to the colony on Saturday to buy some steaks, and I wanted to ask them about setting up a tour. Any interest in it? My dream would be to live with them for a few weeks, and keep in contact with them and write a book. I get so mad at the stereotypes surrounding them. (Sidenote, wanna check out Creston with me this summer? I totally want to drive out to Bountiful and creep)

Umm, even though we share several commonalities, we are vastly different when it comes to storms. I get such a thrill from storms, I would LOVE to be a storm chaser, to document the fury and beauty of a tornado.

Ok, that's it for now. I will post some things on mine, 60% of them are the same as yours, except insert music and human rights into my passions ;)

Love ya dork.

The Tompkins Family said...

Love this! I am so with you on the book thing. There is no better feeling than knowing you have a good book to curl up with at night after the kids have gone to bed!

Did I ever tell you that part of my IPT was at a Hutterite Colony?

Jenn said...

Wow! We are a LOT alike!! :)

CanadianMama said...

Hey, I think you would be a great sister wife haha - just kidding! I totally agree with most of your comments though. It's funny I don't see you as "blunt" I see you as very confident. But I also see you as very gentle, sensitive and caring. I just can't imagine anyone not meshing with you :)

Julianne Harvey said...

Jason really wants a Kindle, but what holds me back is what your friend touched on above: the library is free and downloaded books, while cheaper, still cost money. I wish our library was big enough to offer e-books that you could check out, but I hear that's not happening in the near future, so for that reason alone, I will continue with traditional books.

I can see Jason's need for it more than me, because he travels on planes so much right now and it's more convenient to read electronically. I hear the Kindle has a paper-like look to the screen which is intriguing. I really need to actually use someone's to see what the fuss is about.

Thanks for sharing this stuff about yourself! You are fantastic and amazing, I know that for sure. :)

Momof4 said...

In follow up to my above post, I just found out that you can download (some) books from the library. They are available for a 2-3 week period,a nd then they are erased, or be come unusable. Guess I will have to get in and renew my card and give it a try!!!

Karyn said...

Thanks for the tag and the award, Jan. I don't think I can participate this time, though.

I enjoyed your 10 things.....I thought your pink glasses were cute and I love the way you are so confident in yourself.

As you know, I also love to read (and eat...LOL) I do not think I would enjoy a Kindle....there is just something about a BOOK. But then, I'm an 'old lady'. :)

I'm with you on the scared half to death of summer storms because of the chance of tornados thing. I totally understand! I've spent many storms holed up in the basement over the years.

Love you, sweetie!