Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thankful Thursday

I'm going to try to make this a regular thing because forcing myself to slow down and remember what I am thankful for is such a great exercise and really reminds me to change my perspective. Today, I am thankful for:

  • A best friend. A girlfriend that knows more about me than I do some days. Someone who has been an important part of my life for 12 years and has been there for the wonderful times and the trying times. When I am not available, she is a second mommy to my boys. We have a rare, beautiful friendship and I have to remember to not take it for granted.



  • A long, cold winter that has allowed me to be nearly fully booked with Doula clients from June - September! Nothing else to do all winter than make babies, right? ;)



  • While we have all been battling minor illnesses, I am thankful for our overall health. A family that I have known most of my life lost their 13 year old son last week to brain cancer. My heart aches for them and their pain. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through and have walked through the last few years as he battled his illness.



  • A supportive, understanding, compassionate staff at our Elementary School. I was subbing in kindergarten yesterday and got a call that Luca had fallen and cut his head and was bleeding a lot. With no questions asked, they found coverage for me within seconds so I could rush out to take him for stitches. Thankfully, it was a small wound with lots of blood (heads bleed like crazy!) and he didn't require stitches, but knowing that I was able to leave without any questions or repercussions was such a relief. And when I walked into the school this morning, the first question asked was how Luca was doing. We are so lucky to have such a caring staff and I am excited for Luca to be a student there next year!



  • Even though the snow is not welcome and I've grumbled about it today too, I am thankful that it is only snow, not floods, earthquakes, fires, etc. We have a warm and safe home and if the biggest complaint is that driving is difficult and it is too heavy to shovel, we're doing pretty good.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

The Unmarried Me!! said...

I am a mother of four boys, and your comment about your son looking up at you with tears in his eyes, brought tears to my eyes. Its so hard to see them hurt! I always do my best to not leave anyone out, but Ive seen my own child go through the same thing. Thank goodness they are so resiliant. I am brand new to blogging, and can use any advise I can get. Here is my URL, I hpe you will check it out. http://theunmarriedme.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=2